Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dogs Along the Way-----Something About a Dog

I know, there are commercials, blogs a plenty, articles, posts, etc about dogs. So endure another one.
There is something about a dog.

I do not care what the fur feels like. The first scratch at a dog's coat, smooth, wiry, long, short; it lowers the blood pressure. I don't need government studies for this conclusion. I do not care that my blue blazer is highlighted with golden dog hair. There is something about a dog.

While neighbors complain about dog barking, I never do. I am thankful for it. It is like listening to the Allman Brothers. Heaven will reveal the times that my dogs thwarted a home invasion, a theft, a nefarious character due to the barking. There is something about a dog.

They tear up things and have no clue of their value to us. They can soil carpet, chew furniture, and dig holes in our beautiful back yards. I simply say that all of these things are meaningless compared to the warm breath of a canine staring at you at the very crack of dawn, confirming that he needs you to help him make it through another day. There is something about a dog.

Our dogs have no clue of our day; God made them that way. Even if we come home and yell at them due to a crappy existence, they only apologize like they have done something wrong. There is something about a dog.

A dog that has not been invited to the bed ends up there out of sheer determination. The warmth and security of that companion, whether at the foot or on the pillow, trumps the leaves, pine straw, and hair. There is something about a dog.

A dog can make a senior talk. He can make a person leave a coma. He can make another dog, who cannot find peace, live in balance with himself, other dogs, and humans. There is something about a dog.

The most unexplainable aspect about a dog is 'the look'. He will look into your eyes and there is a mysterious connection that only the true dog lover understands...yet it is still an enigma. He understands our English commands, our German commands, our Spanish commands, but we humans, 'the most intelligent of all mammals' only give a cursory glance to how they communicate with us. Yes, there is something about a dog!

While I could go on and on, I can only say that given the responsibility and sometimes preclusive lifestyle they may cause, the benefits so outweigh the restrictions. Dogs have kept me from spending my hard earned money on therapy. There is no telling what they have done to protect my family's life. Even the crunch of  a Milk Bone is a sound that ministers to my soul!

Knowing that the dog is so dependent on us makes him grateful for the life he shares with us. Knowing that the human is so dependent on the dog for peace and contentment makes us grateful for having such an intimate friendship with him.

There is something about a dog.





1 comment:

  1. Love this. It's exactly how I feel...but was unable to put into words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete