Monday, June 9, 2014

Life Along the Way-----Summertime Blues, Red Dirt, and Sweat



Summer Solstice will occur June 21, 2014. The official first day of summer, except in Alabama. The old joke down here is that Alabama has two seasons: Summer and February. Spring was as pollen ridden as I can ever recall. Two steroid shots instead of one had to get me through the season this year, both equally stinging like a shot of Louisiana Hot Sauce in the butt. Allergies aside, May and June have actually been decent, I wouldn’t say pleasant, but decent, with copious amounts of rain. The weekends have been filled with dueling 4 stroke and 2 stroke motors all over the neighborhood, cutting grass, edging driveways, weed-eating pesky dandelions, and manicuring hedges. 


I had a late haircut tonight. I walked out to a friendly night air we call balmy. It is that warm, happy air that surrounds you and takes you to places like the Gulf Of Mexico, porch swings, camp sites, night fishing. It even smells friendly. I suppose those who know Mr. Balmy also get this description, especially when compared to his evil cousin Humidity. 
 

There are times in Alabama, usually in July and August that the days are so laden with heat and humidity, you sometimes wonder if this stuff we inhale (with some difficulty) has any oxygen composition at all. And while southerners know we will endure this torture year after year, it is still incredulous that at 9PM, the temperature will be 90 degrees with stifling humidity. 


Air conditioning sure changed things in the South. Businesses started posting signs on the doors with a little penguin blowing vapor breath with the words, “Come on in, it’s COOL inside!” My first memory of this life saving invention is still clear. During those Ft. Benning/Columbus GA years in the mid 60’s, I played with reckless abandon; riding my Schwinn Typhoon on pot-holed streets, exploring the woods with my Daisy BB gun, picking teams for a schoolyard game of baseball, and sweating.  A kid would sweat those reddish streaky lines, indicating a day mixed with perspiration and the red clay that constitutes much of the good earth of the Deep South. My buddies and I seemed to be gone all day, breaking only for a quick PB&J for lunch. By the time supper rolled around, Ol Humidity caused layers of fine dusty clay, brought on by one activity after another, more sweat, more dirt. Mamas greeted these little dirt daubers with, “Boy, go get in the shower NOW! And soap-up a washcloth!”


Back to air conditioning. My first encounter was one of those noisy window units, installed in the living room at my buddy Brad’s home. His family seemed like they were up on all the ‘latest things’ and even had factory air conditioning in their 66 Chevy Impala. I thought they were rich, but actually his dad was just like everyone else, carving out a living as a car salesman at the local Chevy dealer.  He was able to drive a demo, I suppose. 


The window unit became our new best friend. After a ball game, we adjusted the vents just right, some pulled up a few chairs; others sat on the floor and took in this most glorious substance. I know his mom must have been glad we were all around 10; while we were dirty we lacked the real ‘boy funk’ that would kick in a few years later. A gaggle of 10 year old boys taking in the cold air was tolerable.  A gang of 13 year olds in the same sweaty state would have caused his mom to shoo us with a broom and a can of Lysol.
 

Summer in the South now has us scurrying from one air conditioned box to another via a smaller air conditioned box on wheels. I am not complaining. But as I age, I am growing in appreciation for that friendly Mr. Balmy. His cousin Humidity can return to Hades as far as I am concerned. Until then (November) I will fight him with every Btu that our system can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment